Search This Blog

7.13.2010

Strawberry rhubarb pie


I love rhubarb - but had never tried making anything with it, and decided it was high time. I picked some up at the St. Paul Farmer's Market on Sunday and I couldn't wait to use it. I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com but I have added in one essential ingredient that was missing, and a tip that I wish I would have used in this recipe. The flavor was exceptional and the pie was delicious - however, it was a little soupy. Hence the addition of corn starch and extra flour in the below ingredients.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. flour, divided (the original recipe calls for 2, I am recommending an additional two for coating the rhubarb)
2 Tbsp. corn starch (my addition)
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved or quartered
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

topping:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup quick cooking or rolled oats
1/2 cold butter
Directions:
Wash and cut the strawberries and rhubarb, gently coat the rhubarb in 1 to 2 Tbsp. of flour.

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg. Add the sugar, 2 Tbsp. of flour, 2 Tbsp. of corn starch and vanilla, mix well. Gently fold in the strawberries and rhubarb. Pour into pastry shell.

For topping, combine 3/4 cup flour with brown sugar, oats and butter. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.
 Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and lower heat in oven to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes (or until golden brown and bubbly). Cool on a wire rack.

1 comment: