Search This Blog

1.04.2011

Gluten-Free musings

I know it's been a long, long time since I've had a post. I've been doing very well with the gluten-free cooking - I love it, in fact. Gluten-free baking has been a disaster, however. I have had so many baking failures, I am almost to the point of giving up. I have always been a fairly adept baker, I had never had anything come out inedible until gluten-free baking. I have a long list of things I've attempted and given up on. I've had a grand total of two items turn out well. Both recipes were for cookies, one made from The Cake Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free, the other from a recipe I found online. I guess I need to keep practicing, but I am very frustrated in general.

I am also frustrated with some store-bought bakery items I've tried recently. Today, I was so excited (like, jump up out of bed excited) because last night I purchased some Glutino bagels. I haven't had a bagel since my diagnosis....and I used to eat 3 to 4 a week.....I have missed bagels more than anything else. It was disgusting. I had two bites. Two. Now I've spent $5.00 for 5 bagels and I can't even choke down one of them. Ish. The consistency was all wrong, as was the flavor. It tastes like dense, mealy, dry crap. Blerg.







The other major disappointment (salute the major) was the Udi brand cinammon rolls. I was also very excited about these, I carefully warmed the rolls, and iced it lovingly with the provided cinammon icing. I sat down with my roll and hot coffee....ugh. It was so tough I could barely cut through it with a knife. Even warm, it was dry and too tough. The flavor was okay, the cinammon icing had a red-hot flavor that was delightful, but I couldn't get past the texture of the roll.


Things that are good.

There are also some store-bought treats that are delicious. Udi's Double Chocolate Muffins are pretty good. A little dry - but overall....a good treat. Also, the Whole Foods Bakehouse GF Cupcakes, are pretty tasty.




I love, love, love EnviroKids cereals. Leapin' Lemurs and Panda Puffs are my current favorites. I've always been a big cereal eater - and though I miss Lucky Charms and Cheerios - I'm finding things I like.

Another great find, is the Blue Diamond line of Nut Thins. The plain ones are fantastic. They taste pretty good by themselves, and they aren't overpowering when you pair them with dip, hummus, cheese, etc. I love them with Punch Pizza's Artichoke Dip! Yummmm!
 My favorite gluten-free product is Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta. I would eat this stuff even if I could eat wheat pasta. It is DELICIOUS! I love it. The texture is right, the flavor is better than wheat pasta and it is far superior to brown rice pasta. So good!

I know I'll continue to find good products - and bad ones....as with any food...not just gluten-free. I just feel more frustrated, because my options are limited to begin with - and each item is so expensive, it sucks to have it fail. Stay tuned for more of my own recipes - as I vow to be better about making new posts in 2011.

If YOU have a favorite GF product - be sure to tell me about it! I've been sampling things like crazy - but that doesn't mean I've tried it all.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad some of those sweet treats aren't good. The cinnamon roll looked good, that's how they suck you in. At least you are trying stuff, only way to tell. You are bound to find some good things in the mix!

    ReplyDelete