Search This Blog

1.04.2011

Peanut Blossoms - GF


I'm not big on peanut butter...especially with chocolate, but I wanted to make a traditional holiday cookie this year...one that I could eat! I opted for these, as the recipe I found (on the General Mills' website) looked fairly straightforward. The cookies turned out really well, with only one adjustment to the recipe - baking time. Not sure if this is just a standard issue with GF baking (inconsistent baking times) or if it has more to do with the fact that my cookie sheets are stoneware....anyone have thoughts on that?

So, as I said, these cookies turned out really well. However, I made one big rookie mistake. I topped them with Hershey Kisses....without first checking allergen info about Hershey Kisses......I had a reaction and learned through several different GF blogs and message boards that Hershey's chocolate isn't gluten free. A lot of GF people react to Hershey's chocolate and Hershey's doesn't provide consistent info about allergens (according to these posts I read - I haven't contacted them myself). So, after becoming violently ill, I've sworn off Hershey's.  Next time I make these cookies, I'll be sure to use chocolate that I can ensure is GF.
 Peanut Blossoms
General Mills

Ingredients:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 1/2 cups Bisquick GF mix
chocolate candies for topping

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg. Stir in Bisquick mix. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour, or until firm.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In small bowl, place remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar. On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes (I had to bake much longer) or until light golden brown. Immediately top each cookie with 1 chocolate candy, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.




No comments:

Post a Comment