Search This Blog

3.20.2011

GF Fried Pickles

Oh. My. God.
I love fried pickles. They were my absolute favorite thing at The Chatterbox Pub.....I thought they were safe there, as they are battered in cornmeal....but when I asked the staff....they informed me they use wheat flour in the mix. Bummer. I found this recipe (I think) in Food Network Magazine. Soooo, so good. Luke and I made these the other night and I can't wait to make them again. So good.

Ingredients:
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
pinch of cayenne
3/4 cup cornstarch (divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup cornmeal
dash paprika
s/p
3 dozen cold pickle slices (I used giant pickles and sliced them thick, but you could use jarred slices)
canola oil
Directions:
In a shallow dish, beat egg and milk, add pinch of cayenne. In another shallow dish, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch will 1/2 cup cornmeal, season with paprika and salt and pepper (add dill if you wish as well). Place the remaining 1/4 cup cornstarch in a third shallow dish. Heat canola oil in a large pan, should be about 2 inches deep. Heat to frying temp (about 375 degrees). 
Dip the cold pickles in plain cornstarch, then the egg wash, then the cornmeal mixture. Fry in the oil until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve with ranch dressing.

2 comments:

  1. omg is right! I want to try these next time I am in St. Paul. Deal? Nummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um....you should bring these for Easter, okay?

    ReplyDelete