Search This Blog

2.16.2010

Pepper steak


This is one of my absolute favorites, it's my mom's recipe and I make it all the time. You can use stew meat - which is already cut in small pieces, but I usually buy round eye steak and slice it myself. You can brown in by itself....but I generally brown it in 2 Tbsp. of butter - it really adds a great flavor.

Pepper Steak

3 cups cooked rice
1 pound round steak, sliced
1 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, pressed or crushed
1 1/2 cups gluten-free beef broth
1 cup sliced green onions
2 green peppers, cut into strips
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce (or Bragg's Liquid Aminos if GF)
1 can diced tomatoes (or two large tomatoes, diced)

Cut steak into thin strips, sprinkle meat with paprika, let stand. Brown meat in butter. Add garlic and beef broth.

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in onions and peppers, cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Blend cornstarch, water and soy sauce. Stir into pan until thickened. Add tomatoes, heat through. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yea this is so good and it must be fairly healthy. Not too much meat, and some veggies and rice. Simple but tasty!

    ReplyDelete