Search This Blog

6.07.2010

Beer-braised chicken

I've been wanting to try cooking with beer, and I thought about a "beer in the rear" chicken, but then I found this recipe. It's from Rachael Ray, however, it took a lot longer to finish cooking than the recipe indicates - so I've added info based on my results. The aroma was awesome....bacon, beer, potatoes, chicken....what could be better?!

Ingredients:
1/4 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
about 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken (RR suggests thighs, I used breasts)
S/P
rice flour for dredging
EVOO
1 12 oz. bottle beer (preferably a brown ale - I used Leinie's Creamy Dark for GF you could use Red Bridge)
1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
1/2 pound small potatoes, halved or quartered
2 Tbsp. mustard (I used a spicy deli mustard)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
4 sprigs fresh thyme (I used other spices - like herbs de provence and oregano)
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Add some EVOO to the bacon drippings in the pot. Add the chicken (in batches if needed) and cook until golden on the bottom, 6 to 7 minutes, then flip and sear the other side. Add the beer, onions, potatoes, mustard, sugar, thyme and 1 cup of water to the pot and stir. Make sure the chicken is fully submerged. Simmer until the chicken is done and the potatoes are soft. RR says 15 minutes....I say more like 30. Add more water if needed, as a lot will boil off while cooking. Discard thyme (if used) and stir in the bacon and parsley.



2 comments:

  1. I wanna try this. Maybe you can make it for me next time I come to St. Paul.......

    ReplyDelete