Search This Blog

10.15.2010

Crunchy pan-fried chicken with roasted potatoes and gravy.

Immediately after taking this picture, I poured gravy over the entire plate. I love gravy, as a true Minnesotan should. This meal was excellent. Luke wanted to make chicken and biscuits, with taters and gravy. I've had trouble finding gluten-free gravy, so I made this from scratch.

Ingredients for chicken and taters:

1 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup breadcrumbs, I use these
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. season salt, divided (or any combination of seasonings)
1 egg
2 Tbsp. EVOO (divided)
1 pound new potatoes, sliced (I leave skin on, but you could peel as well)

Directions:
Lightly beat egg in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, mix breadcrumbs and 1 tsp. of seasoning. Heat 1 Tbsp. EVOO in a large skillet. Dredge chicken through egg, and then through breadcrumb mixture. Fry in oil until cooked through and crispy.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the sliced potatoes with 1 Tbsp. EVOO and 1 Tbsp. seasoning. Lay out on cookie sheet (I used stoneware baking pans) and roast in oven until cooked through. Time will depend on size and thickness of potato slices.

Luke loves all kinds of bread. I have really been missing any kind of bread-like food since becoming gluten-free. We finally found some GF Bisquick  and were anxious to try biscuits. We just used the recipe on the box (although we just made 1/3 the batch), the texture was good (far better than some of the frozen GF biscuits I've purchased) but the flavor was a little blah. I recommend adding a little flavor.....like extra butter, salt, some chives and/or cheese. Overall, not bad.
For the chicken gravy, I used cornstarch as a thickener and used the recipe on the box, I used Argo.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. butter
2 cups of chicken broth (Swanson's is GF)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add chicken broth. Remove from heat. In a separate cup mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth, add to the chicken broth and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and boil for one minute (or longer, until desired consistency).
Yummmmmmm. Here is the full meal, plus a shot of my plate smothered in gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment