Search This Blog

1.18.2010

Galette


 
I have developed a slight obsession with this dessert, I've made many variations - all are delicious. I think my favorite is apple, but mixed berries are also delightful. Homemade crust makes this standout, but store-bought crust makes a much quicker substitute. The first recipe I tried was from Martha, but I've modified it over time, and used different spices for different fruit fillings.
 Here is the basic recipe:

Galette

1 pie crust (can use gluten-free)
1 Tbsp. flour (can use gluten-free)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1-2 cups fresh fruit
1 egg

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix flour, brown sugar, corn starch, salt and 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar in a small bowl. Roll out pie crust, spread out spice mixture in middle of crust, leaving a 1 to 2 inch border around the edges. Place fruit on top of mixture, fold sides of crust up over the edges of the fruit, pinch together. Brush with egg and sprinkle remaining sugar over the crust. Bake for 12-18 minutes, once fruit softens and crust browns.


When I make this recipe for apples, I add cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. I also warm up some apple jelly in a saucepan to drizzle over the finished galette. I have served with vanilla ice cream and with whipped cream....both delightful. I've also tossed a few fresh (or frozen) cranberries in here with pink lady apples.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...galettes. I have a request for a post...could you post your guacamole recipe? We tried to make some the other day from a Betty Crocker recipe and it didn't turn out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that berry one looks fantastic! They are so good, and so simple. The pictures on here look great.

    ReplyDelete