Search This Blog

1.11.2010

Cincinnati Chili

It's cold. This time of year I always crave warm, beef-based meals. Growing up, my g-ma always made Cincinnati Chili on New Year's Day, we always looked forward to its warmth and enticing aroma. I came up with this recipe on my own, I think it has more spice than g-ma's, but it definitely reminds me of hers.


Cincinnati Chili

1 lb. ground beef
1 white onion, chopped, divided
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large can (29oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) can diced tomato
2 tsp. cinnamon
s/p to taste
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves

Brown beef, season with salt and pepper, drain. Add peppers and onion, saute a few minutes until soft. Add tomatoes and sauce and remaining ingredients. Simmer at least 30 minutes. Serve over regular or gluten-free spaghetti noodles. Serve with warm kidney beans, chopped raw onion, shredded cheese and sour cream as optional toppings.

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderfully warm and fragrant winter dish, though I should admit I'm partial to anything involving cinnamon. It makes my favorite leftovers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will always remind me of Grandma's house and New Year's Day. Awesome dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night for the first time using your recipe....AWESOME! Adam and I each had two huge helpings and will have the leftovers tonight. Yum yum yum. However, Adam did not know the Allspice was its own spice and not "all the spices." He bought Mrs. Dash when I sent him for Allspice. Doh!

    ReplyDelete