Search This Blog

5.29.2010

Lemon Surprise!


I love lemon, especially in the spring and summer. It's so light and fresh tasting. I love lemon cake, and have made box mix lemon cakes before, but wanted to try a more "from scratch" version. I found this recipe, it is one of my Great Aunt Hazel's, she was a champion baker - so I assumed it would be good. This cake is de-lightful! I made it into cupcakes, as I figured they would be easier for the backyard party I made them for.

Ingredients:
One box lemon jello
3/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 box yellow cake mix (GF)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2+ cups powdered sugar
juice of two lemons
lemon zest

Directions:
Dissolve one package of lemon jello in 3/4 cup water. Add 4 eggs, beat 2 minutes. Add one package yellow cake mix, beat 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup oil, beat 2 minutes. Pour into cake pan or muffin tin, bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes for a 9x13 cake pan or about 18 minutes for cupcakes.
Mix 2 cups powdered sugar with the juice of 2 lemons. When cake is still warm, poke holes in it and pour/spread the lemon glaze into the holes. After cake has cooled, add some additional powdered sugar to thicken glaze and frost cake with it. Top with lemon zest.

1 comment:

  1. Wow those look delicious! Will have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete